1) Show off your inner mermaid - To me, mermaid style can be literal. There are some gorgeous charms like the mermaid earrings I made above. Images of mermaids can be whimsical, colorful, and fun.
2) Make an impression - Mermaid style can be relative. What do I mean by that? Think about the attributes of the mermaid. I love the image of long flowing hair and shimmering tails flashing in the ocean. Take one attribute of this iconic ocean legend and use it to create a mermaid feeling in your look. For example, drape yourself with long flowing chains to mimic the long flowing locks of hair. Add some subtle sparkle or shimmer to your makeup, outfit, or accessories to reflect the shimmering scales of the mermaid's tail. (just be cautious here; too much sparkle and shimmer can be over the top)
3) Color: Sea - ing is believing - Where do you find mermaids? If your answer included the ocean, sea, water, etc. then you are correct. This lovely lady lives in the sea, so use a watery palette to create your mermaid style. Various shades of cool blues and greens work well together. It doesn't matter if you prefer a minimal or romantic style, color can help you be a modern mermaid.
4) Be Beachy - Shells, sea life (like starfish and sea horses), and other beach items can promote a fun, coastal mermaid style. Whether you love the natural look of shells or the bright colors of man made items like beach balls and umbrellas, think about how to add beachy elements to your look. Since I live at the beach, this is easy for me. I love hunting for things on the beach to turn into jewelry.
5) Materials make the mermaid - When I imagine mermaids, I picture an elegant beautiful figure. So this makes me think about what a mermaid would wear when it comes to her style. You can add instant mermaid style to your look by choosing jewelry and other accessories made of materials that a mermaid could fashion into something beautiful.
Pearls immediately come to mind. Lots and lots of pearls if you're feeling fancy. You can also add sea glass, shells, and surf tumbled stones.
See my jewelry below for some examples of my modern mermaid style: